Oct 12, 2007

EuroLife: Day 19

Once again, there will be two photos of the day today. However, I never made any promises about how many photos of the day I would post...that was Michael's decision :)

When we first moved here, way back in late September, I noticed that people in Jena love their ice cream. I mean, at almost any time of day and in all types of weather, the people on the street are eating ice cream. There are at least a dozen good Italian ice cream shops in town, and people can generally be found eating cones with not one, but two scoops of delicious gelato. Michael suggests that perhaps these people only come into the city once a week or so, and while it looks like people eat ice cream on a daily basis it's really just different people each day. I am skeptical. I offer as evidence the first picture, found outside one of the local grocery stores.

As it turns out, I noticed this sign because I myself was about to walk into the store with my ice cream cone. It was a sad moment.




The next photo is one from our street. It is really a beautiful area, and the picture does not do it justice. I couldn't get a decent shot with both sides of the street, so you will simply have to imagine that there are buildings like the ones in the photo on both sides of the street. Every building looks unique, which is a large part of what makes our street so beautiful. So here it is:

That's it for today! Well, I suppose I should include something like Michael's Facts and Factiods. So, in keeping with the ice cream theme, here are some of our favorite foods here in Jena:

-Nice rolls with Irish butter and honey
-Croissants with Nutella
-Brie, at .99
-Chocolate, at about .80. (Michael at least as much as me, if you can believe it.)
-Cheese Tortellini made with Fresh Pasta, from Italy. These cost about 1.19 at the grocery store.

Yum.

No comments: