Oct 25, 2007

EuroLife Day 31


I apologize the for the picture, but this is ecological diligence at its best -- our bio-recycle bin. When you have a small place and four different recycle bins, the bins must be small, and this means they must be emptied often. In addition to our recycle bins we have a cupboard where we put our old beer and water bottles. These must be returned on a semi-regular basis for the rather lucrative deposits.

It's tired. I just wrote that. I meant to say that its late, and I am tired. So I'll just give you a few quotes. The first two are translated into English for your convenience.

"You went hiking again this week? You like to go hiking, and your philosophers...you two aren't typical Americans, are you." Our friend at church, after we told her we went hiking during the past week.

"It rains a lot. Sometimes the rain becomes warmer, and then you say, hey, it must be July." A colleague of mine describing the weather in Munster, which he tells me is far worse than Jena.

"I need my dinner...my desert...no, my medicine...whatever its called." Dolores, aptly capturing both of our states of mind on this fine day.

"I just realized that the three people I know best here in Germany are named Tim, Timo, and Temilo." Me, reflecting on the names of three colleagues.

And, now, finally, a eulogy of sorts for Patrick, who correctly answered all of the questions from day twenty eight. Well, actually, instead of praising Patrick, I think I shall praise his noble name, a name that stems from the Latin "Patricius." The name means noble or patrician. It was the name of St. Augustine's father, and also name of the patron saint of green beer and green rivers (in Chicago, at least). The root of the name is related to pater and patria, to fatherliness and the love of one's country. A noble name indeed.


No comments: