Dec 1, 2007

EuroLife: Day 65

Blessings Beyond Measure!


Some of you may remember my grumblings about comfort food from a few days ago. Well, this morning we received a phone call from Deanna, a friend from church. She was calling to see how I was doing, having been away last week while I was in the Fraunklinic. "Also," she added, "I'm making some homemade chicken strips. Would it be ok if I brought some over?"

By way of back-story, Deanna and her husband Jeff have been in Jena for 2 or 3 years now working in campus ministry. We met them at church, where we were very surprised to learn that their hometown in the States is about 10 minutes away from Michael's hometown! They have been wonderful about welcoming us to Jena. In fact, Jeff drove us to the Emergency Room last Saturday. We don't have a car, and they have repeatedly offered to help us if ever we need it, so they were the ones we called.

So, Deanna saw my post about comfort food--having also been disappointed by Cheers, it turns out--and boy did she fix that problem! She and her daughter Georgia came by with a bag full of goodies. In addition to the homemade fried chicken and collard greens, there was jasmine rice, black eyed peas, ranch dressing, tortilla chips, salsa, taco seasoning (from the US!), instant peach tea, and even Skittles! Not one of those items, except perhaps for the rice, have I had since arriving in Germany. We had the chicken, rice, beans and greens for dinner and it was absolutely delicious; it totally hit the spot. (I know my New York readers might be surprised by the collard greens, and maybe even by the black-eyed peas, but Michael won me over to both ages ago and we used to make them all the time! You just have to trust me; they're delicious.)

It was such a wonderful way to start the day. In addition to the incredible food, it was just very nice to feel so cared for. Actually, Jeff and Deanna are also the friends who loaned us the stack of American DVDs. They have really been a blessing to us!

Since we're on the topic of blessings, I thought I'd include the most recent ultrasound picture too. The ultrasound itself looked incredible, but the printed picture looked a little less clear. (When the baby was moving around, it was super easy to see what everything was.) A photograph of the picture only makes things worse, but at least it's something, so here it is:
The head is on the right, and you can see (or at least I can see :) an arm and the legs sort of tucket up. (The baby is facing towards the bottom of the picture.)

All that to say, Michael and I are feeling incredibly blessed. I'm getting pretty nauseous, I'm exhausted, and I have the sense of smell of a superhero (not a very useful superpower), but I couldn't be happier!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new family member. I hope everything is going well for you. Sorry you had to spend some time in the hospital. You are right about the American care of pregnancy - I would have loved to be in Germany. They seem to value the unborn child and mother. How does maternity leave work there?

We are so happy for you