Dec 6, 2007

EuroLife: Day 68


What you see here is the bane of my existence. Just to be sure that I was using the expression correctly, I looked up "bane". Dictionary.com defines it as follows: "a person or thing that ruins or spoils." So, I can now confirm, this is the bane of my existence.

December is the season of Weihnachtsmarkts, or Chrismas markets, here in Germany. Nuremberg is supposed to have the best one, but we have our own here in Jena as well. There is an abundance of new little outdoor shops and stands selling delicious food, mulled wine, and all manner of Christmas decorations. One of these days, when the sun is shining, I will go and take some nice pictures to try to give you a sense of the finer aspects of the Christmas markets...but the darker side has to be noted as well.

A giant carnival has descended upon the center of the city. By "giant" I do not mean to imply that there are very many rides--there seem to be only about a half a dozen--but rather that it is a very tall, loud, and worst of all perpetually spinning eyesore. (Though the bumper cars look kind of fun, and I'm intrigued by the "Geisterhaus".)

I should confess at this point that "morning" sickness seems to have finally taken hold. For a while there I really believed I'd be one of the lucky few that escaped it, but alas it was not to be. It's not terrible, just a nagging nausea that comes and goes throughout the day. (There is nothing "morning" about it.) As I said, I think I have it pretty good in this department because it really isn't that bad at all--until I have to walk past this abomination.


I like this picture a lot, because it captures the contrast between the beautiful church and the spinning, flashing, hurling hunk of steel that has recently moved in. So, here's how it works: There's one giant arm with six little offshoots, as you can see. Four people get strapped into each offshoot, and up they go. The thing swoops up and down like one of those Pirate Ship rides while spinning. And flashing bright lights.

It's nearly impossible to get anywhere in town without passing this ride, which means I see it a few times a day. There I am, minding my own business and trying not to be sick when I am assaulted by something that could only have been put there in ORDER to make a person sick. I have to stare straight ahead, resist the urge to look when I hear screaming, and pretend not to have any peripheral vision. It is not an ideal situation.

So there you have it: the bane of my existence. I am very happy to be pregnant, and very happy that things are progressing well--even if it means nausea. Still, it seems a bit much to expect a person to deal with this contraption while fighting nausea. Don't you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not pregnant. I never could be nor will I ever be. Still that thing would make me sick if had to walk by it. In fact, I have to get off line. I am getting dizzy.

Papa G.