Jul 8, 2008

EuroLIfe: Day 273

A Week of Firsts

David is now 15 days old, though still 1 day early, and has had a rather eventful week. First, he had to say goodbye to his grandma Terry. They had a nice routine of snuggling every night from about 11pm to between 1 and 2 am so that Michael and I could get some guaranteed sleep...after that he slept in the crib (apart from nighttime feedings, of course.) Now that Terry is gone, David misses his cuddle time, and will not sleep in his crib until around 1 or 2 am. He is just convinced that these late hours are cuddling hours!
David also had his first outdoor Scrabble game a few days ago. We thought we should expose him to Scrabble as soon as possible, given the number of hours of his life that he will likely lose to this game. Between his parents and his aunts and uncles, it seems he is in for a quite a lot of Scrabble playing...and it's best to be prepared.

Frankly, we're not sure he was paying all that much attention.

I have no idea what I'm doing in this picture--Michael did not warn me--but here you can see our fabulous Ergo carrier. It is all that I can do not to become a walking infomercial for this marvelous invention...David loves it, I can wear it even though I had the C-section so recently, and we're all happy, comfortable and portable :)

This is not so much a first, but it's a really cute picture. I guess it's kind of a first if you count the introduction of "tummy time" as a first! With all the SIDS worries, babies can of course no longer sleep on their bellies. Given the chance, though, he just loves to lie on his stomach.

He also had his first bath! This was not his favorite "first" experience. He didn't shriek, exactly, but he sure cried for awhile. He needs another one tonight--he's getting kind of stinky with all the milk he spills all over himself--so please pray for us :)



And, finally, he had his first play-date! He slept through it--we're working on his social skills--but it's nice that he has a friend. Immanuel is about 3 months old, and has already made a few appearances on this blog. Anja was kind enough to come over this afternoon and we had a very nice time together. (She also brought cake, which of course made me very happy :)

Immanuel is far more advanced than David and can do many tricks, such as: pulling up into a sitting position while being held, babbling, and staying awake for more than 30 or 40 minutes at a time. He was very polite about their difference, though, and I'm confident that David will catch up in no time :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

he's like a little bug!!! I love the picture of michael smiling at him as hes crying from his bath.. poor little man... so so cute!!!!
miss you!!
xoxo
kathryn

Mrs. Aleisha Brixius said...

Wow - he looks so little. You look great - by the way.

Don't you love the firsts. Do you scrapbook? You always need those firsts!

Thanks for sharing

Mrs. Aleisha Brixius said...

I tagged you - check out our blog. It's kind of fun to do.

http:timandaleisha.com

Kate said...

Don't worry Dolores, I am sure he will be all over scrabble in about a year or so. That's plenty of time, right?

Brooke said...

Hi Dolores, My mom recently had lunch with your mom and she passed along your blog to me. It was great to "catch up!" I had to make a comment on the ergo, since I am a proud owner of the exact same one and I still try to squeeze Dylan in it (she's 2 1/2) when I can, because it is the greatest invention ever. Take that Baby Bjorn. I digress...congratulations to you and Michael on David's birth; he is adorable. Best, Brooke (Parmentier) Carey