Nov 14, 2007

EuroLife: Day 50

English: The Language of Management,
Convenience, and Sex-Appeal


For some time now I've intended to do a post on the presence of the English language in Germany. It's not that most people here speak English well. They don't. Of course the professors and the advanced students at the university all speak or at least understand English quite well. When I was preparing for my presentation before the SFB last week, I was told I could give the presentation in English if I wanted to. If I had done so, I've no doubt most people would have understood me quite well.


What strikes me more than the number of people who speak or at least understand English, however, is the omnipresence of English words and phrases in advertising and other venues of everyday life. Until I set out to take the pictures you see in this post, I had no idea just how common English actually was. I took all these pictures in a ten minute walk. It only took me ten minutes because I stopped to take all these pictures. I took all of these pictures -- and about seven more that I'm not including in the post -- within the space of about two blocks. So, with the occasional comments, here they are.















This is why I'm hot? What is why? And a bear that needs to get well soon. Strange, very strange.

Software, last minute travel opportunities, and uh...the local gentleman's club. I hear its quite authentic, just like back home.

Yes, Italy's favorite coffee. But why not tell us in Italian? What's wrong with Italian? Not chic anymore?
We'll there are plenty more pictures, but you get the idea.




No comments: