Nov 19, 2007

EuroLife: Day 55

Me again! Yesterday was Michael's turn, but I was so excited about skiing that he let me hijack his rightful post. Alas, now we have had a very long day and Michael has been speaking in, and listening to, German for hours and hours. So, here I am again :) But Michael will return again tomorrow, have no fear.

Germany is a dog-lover's dreamland. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for people who are afraid of dogs to live in Germany. Indeed, I can only suppose that nobody in Germany is afraid of dogs; it would be rather like being afraid of squirrels and living on Long Island. Here, we see dogs in the mall, dogs in the train station, dogs wandering through drug stores and sitting patiently in the bank while their owner uses the ATM. It is perfectly acceptable to bring your dog with you on all of your errands, inside or out. Most dogs are on leashes, but not all of them. Many are just very well behaved, and walk beside their owners as if they were on a leash.

Today's photo is meant to show what happens when you let your dog believe that she can go everywhere that you can. When she can't, she gets very, very sad. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a dog in our grocery store. It seems plausible that they would be excluded from this one little errand, given all of the food and all. The door that you see is the door to a small mall, and directly inside is a grocery store. My guess is that this dog's owner was just going into the grocery store, and so had the dog wait outside. I would also venture a guess that the dog has been allowed in the mall before, but I could be wrong. Whatever the reason, this dog sat outside of the automatic doors gazing wistfully inside in a most pathetic fashion. I know that we've all seen dogs waiting for their owners before, and I can't make you believe that this was different, but I can ask you to take my word for it. The poor dog looked downright devastated. I had to take a picture.

That's all for tonight! Ooh, except for one post-script to yesterday's entry. It turns out that Oberhof, where we were skiing, is quite famous. It's where the German Olympic cross country ski team practices! The trail that we were on goes for 104 miles, though I'm not sure how much of it is ski-able. It is, I just learned, a very popular hiking trail as well.

No comments: