Jan 14, 2008

EuroLife: Day 100

100 days! Wow. I'm sorry I don't have a momentous "It's day 100!" post for you today--just a regular old post. I'll try to think up something fancy for our next impressive-sounding date. In the meantime, I have both good an bad news today.

The good news is that both Michael and I have had very productive days in the library since I got back. (I can't believe how much easier it is to work now that the first trimester fatigue is gone!) The bad news is that we haven't done anything that's at all exciting or blog-worthy. Michael will be handing in his dissertation tomorrow, which is eminently exciting and blog-worthy, but for now he's bogged down in the last minor details of proof-reading. I'm trying to really be good about working very hard now that I am feeling well--particularly because the baby will surely slow things down a bit. So, our lives have been fairly boring of late. This weekend, however, we are going to Leipzig and will return with exciting stories of our wild adventures! We've also decided to try to take more frequent weekend day-trips now that we're settled into Jena. I would like to tell you that Leipzig was chosen as our first destination because it was the birthplace of Leibniz--a famous philosopher who our good friend Michael Murray is something of an expert on-- or because it was where Bach spent time as a church cantor. Alas, this is not the case.

The original plan was to head to nearby Weimar, which is loaded with history and a place that Michael has been wanting to go to for a while. The thing is, we can go to Weimar anytime...and there's a Lush in Leipzig. For those of you who haven't heard me rave about it, Lush is a store that sells incredible, hand-made bath & body products. It's my favorite store in the whole wide world. They can only be found in bigger cities--there was none in South Bend, surprise surprise--and I only get to go once every year or two. Now, there's one in Frankfurt and one in NYC, so I thought for sure I'd get to go over Christmas. (We flew out of Frankfurt, and I spent 2 weeks in New York for crying out loud.) I did not succeed in reaching a Lush in either of these cities. By now, the post-Christmas blow-out sales are probably over, but I just need to try. So I tossed the idea out to Michael today and, much to my surprise, he said "OK, that sounds great!" I am a very happy girl. We will also see the churches, the museums, the zoo (which is supposed to be incredible) and all that jazz...but I will be coming home with the fixings for delightful bubble baths. Everybody wins!

So, here are some photos of what's to come--taken directly from Wikipedia.



The railway station: one of the largest in all of Europe.

















The St Thomas Lutheran Church: Where Bach worked as a cantor!







And finally, last but not least (and not from wikipedia)...


The "Bathos" bubble-bath bar from Lush. Crumble this baby under running water and you get a delightfully fragrant, purple bath with ample, gigantic bubbles. Plus, for the next 24 hours, your skin feels as if you've just put moisturizer on. I highly recommend it.








And finally....

1 comment:

Mrs. Aleisha Brixius said...

Hi! It's me Aleisha. Just checking in on you! Hope everything is going well for you.