Jan 18, 2008

EuroLife: Day 102

I was going to spend today's post telling you all about the wonderful cruise through the Greek Isles that Michael and I were going to go on this Spring. Alas, after much deliberation, I don't think it's going to happen. For those of you who remember my raving about Easy Cruise, I do still think that it's an incredible deal--but it turns out it's a much better deal earlier in the season. The early cruises must have filled up, because they have disappeared from the website, and now the airfare to Athens is much (much) more expensive. We were still thinking of going anyway, but then we realized that (a) Michael would have to miss one of the classes he will be teaching and (b) Michael has to defend his dissertation this spring. The date for that is really mostly up to his committee, and the defense will of course require his going to the US. So, no Easy Cruise for us. It's hard to complain, though. I think we will instead be going to the Alps, or maybe Barcelona. We could both fly from nearby Leibzig to Barcelona for a total of 76 Euros, and March is still the off-season so accommodations are affordable as well.

So: The next time I complain about the difficulties of living in Germany (which I may have done once or twice over Christmas break), please remind me that I should stop. Micheal and I never spent our evenings in South Bend wondering if we should go on a cruise in the Greek Isles, go to Barcelona, or simply take a jaunt over to the Alps. This is the kind of thing that should be appreciated!

One final thing to share. We usually write about our lives here in Germany, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with occasionally referring to our lives (and family) back in the States :) The highlight of my day today came from a phone conversation that I had with my sister and her two children. I was talking with Moira--which is very fun, especially because we are both pregnant and only about 4 weeks apart--when she asked if I would say hello to the kids. I speak with Emily on the phone quite often. She is almost five, and it's crazy to me how grown-up she can sound on the phone these days. (Sample from today: "You know, Dolores, maybe the next time I see you I can show you my new doll clothes. Then you could see what they look like!")


Reed and I speak on the phone less often. He is not quite 2 1/2, and is in general less interested in the phone than Em. Well, today he was interested. Our first conversation went something like this:







Reed (in a high-pitched "phone voice", quite unlike his normal voice): "hi!"
Me: "hi!"
Reed: "hi!...hi hi hi! goodBYE!!"

Moira and I laughed and thought that was it. But no, Reed insisted (loudly) that it was still his turn to talk on the phone with me. Moira gave him the phone back, and the previous conversation was repeated. We again thought he was done, he again protested loudly. Moira gave him the phone once more, explaining that this was it. Now Reed had it figured out--he had to do a better job of filling the time. Here's what followed:

Reed (in same phone-voice): "Hi!"
Me (trying to help here): "Hi, did you like sledding yesterday?"
Reed: "Yes, fun. Fast...Daddy pulled fast. I like sledding. I like toys...I like big toys...and...mommy...and...daddy...and...Emmy...and...babies. I like babies...

The list was much longer, though I only understood some of it. He went on forever listing things that he likes. I could not stop laughing. Eventually Moira got the phone back, though Reed was still convinced it was his turn. Em got the phone and took it into a quieter room. (Which is to say: a room that did not have Reed in it.)

I realize that little kid stories are not always as funny to those who don't know the featured child, but it really was the highlight of my day.

As you might expect, the photos above are of Emily (with my mom) and Reed (being goofy).

1 comment:

Tom Mulherin said...

That's a fantastic hat that Reed is wearing.