Jan 13, 2008

EuroLife: Day 99

More Fun Signs!

Well, just one really. The truth is, I totally forgot about the blog today until a few minutes ago--just as I, once again, forgot until we were well on our way to church this morning that the service would be auf Deutsch. (I was just beginning to get used to that back in December...) So here it is. We saw this one on our walk yesterday afternoon:


Now I know, there aren't any pictures of children playing in traffic here, but this made me laugh out loud. Allow me to (roughly!) translate: "Garbage dumping forbidden! Violators can be punished with a fine of up to fifty thousand Euros."

That's right! Not fifty Euros, Not 500 Euros, but Fifty Thousand Euros. Now, I knew that the Germans were environmentally conscious--and this could explain why the trails in which we hike are so pristine---but Fifty Thousand Euros? That really is remarkable.

On an unrelated note, the weather has been absolutely beautiful. Here is one more picture from our hike yesterday. I believe it is the university's Urology Clinic of all things, but it's a nice building.

No comments: