Feb 7, 2008

EuroLIfe: Day 121

The Joys of Fish & Chips


I have no idea why it took me so long to come-up with this idea, but tonight Michael and I went to Jena's one and only Irish Pub. I had walked past it a few times, though it's not on our usual daily path, and thought to myself "I should check that out one of these days." Then, about a week and a half ago, I noticed that they have live folk music. I had been half looking for a place to play in Jena, and this seemed my best bet. Plus, I thought, I bet they have fish & chips!

So we headed off this evening with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. I was so excited about the prospects of fish & chips, but I did not want to be burned like I was at the American bar & grill. If the "American" hamburger could taste like that, who knew what to expect of "Irish" fish & chips--if they even offered them.

I am most pleased to report that they had fish & chips, and they were delicious! Michael says they were the best he's ever had, but I am afraid I can't concur with him there. Nothing has topped McDonough's fish & chips in Galway, but I suppose that's a bit much to expect. In any case, we had a great night at what felt very much like a real Irish pub. From the moment we walked in I marveled at how Irish the place felt. It may have been the smell of Guinness on tap, or the dark woody feel of the place, but it felt more like the pubs in Galway than any Irish pub outside of Ireland that I have been to. I never did figure out exactly why the place was so evocative of Ireland, but it is my new favorite place in Jena. I just love it. And, they have alcohol free Becks--which goes quite nicely with fish & chips.

My plan is to try to secure at least one gig there before my belly gets to big to accommodate the guitar while standing :) Whether or not I succeed, it turns out they have a monthly Irish music circle, where people just come with their instruments and play together. I am very excited about this. The Irish pub in South Bend had one, and I always regretting not going. Apparently, they get about a dozen folks here in Fiddler's Green. I can' t wait to check it out!

One more thing of note: The baby, it seems, is a big fan of Irish music. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. After a week of incredible activity, this little one has been rather quiet for the past two days. (Being something of a worrier, this has not been my favorite situation.) On Saturday, the baby was a kung-fu master in training, kicking with so much force that Michael was able to feel a good, solid kick. That morning, the kicks were so hard that it really startled me a few times while I was working in the library. Well, the kid tuckered himself or herself out, apparently, because there's been very little activity for a few days now. Today and yesterday in particular, I barely felt anything--just the occasional tap. Then we got to Fiddler's Green, with the Irish music playing full blast, and the little one started to kick quite a bit. Nothing crazy like Saturday's antics, but the child for sure perked up. This made me very happy. Not having married an Irishman, I am going to have to learn to deal with the fact that my child is going to be less than 50% Irish. It's good to know that those genes are strong, and that the baby is already developing keen musical taste. As I said, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Ok, so when do we get to hear you play?

lisa lane said...

Michael and Dolores! David sent the link to your blog last night, and I can't stop reading it. I love the slice-of-life. I have been laughing out loud all through it, and enjoying the gorgeous pictures. We are so happy for you and your little boy baby (not so excited to be called a "great aunt", oh well) Being a "morgenmuddle", was it? myself, I can attest to the fact that responding to the tiny snuffles of the little guy in the night and early morning will not seem like work at all- a sleepy pleasure. I've never found anything better. And I ate constantly- literally, enough to alarm both my husband and my doctor, but I didn't care. So not to worry, although it is supremely uncomfortable. I have not quite forgiven Tim for his uncharacteristically rude comment, when I was about 8 huge months pregnant, bending over at the waist trying in vain to pick up something off the floor, he passed behind me and muttered "Wide load"... So Michael, just know, in case you're tempted, that there's no philosophical argument that will help you to recover from a remark like that-he's tried them all. (actually we've laughed for years about that, and it's very useful fodder for me)
Well, I must get going- it's Tues. at about 9:30am here, my day off and my house looks like a bomb dropped. Aubrey comes home Friday, (here's a link to brag on her... http://carsonnewmaneagles.cstv.com/sports/c-xc/cars-c-xc-body.html )
And we'll celebrate Dad Morris' 80th birthday a little late on Saturday, with Ruth Ann and Dan, who are coming to Atlanta for a short visit!
Sorry we're such bad communicators. I'll try to pass along any newsy thing from home, although it pales compared to your European Adventure.

Much love, and take good care!
Lisa, for all
P.s.the gnome is indeed very scary-we have a similar ghoulish display at Rock City
p.p.s I wasn't sure whether to post this loooong comment- feel free to edit it down! Maybe I should just email?