Mar 5, 2008

EuroLife: Day 147


We had some new friends over for dinner tonight, despite our lack of a kitchen table. We met Thomas and Anja through church, and they are expecting their first child any minute now. It turns out they live just a short walk from our apartment, and I am really looking forward to having them so nearby when our little one comes. (Unfortunately, many of our friends here will be returning to their home countries in July, just when the baby should be arriving.)

We had a really nice time; there were even some moments when I stopped noticing that everyone was speaking German! I always get excited when that happens. It never happens when I'm speaking, but if I've just been listening for a few minutes, I will stop hearing the difference. Of course, once I try to speak, it all comes rushing back. Still, progress is progress I guess!

In anticipation of this dinner, we did actually purchase a kitchen table. I mean, it's one thing to
ask our guests to gather around a tiny table and hold their soup bowl in their lap...it's another thing entirely to ask that of a woman with a fully-grown baby in her belly. Unfortunately, the table did not come in time. Forunately, Anja and Thomas were more than gracious about the whole picnic-in-the-living-room business.
We ordered the table and chairs you see on your left, and should have them within a week or so (I hope.) It will be quite nice to have a real table and chairs. I'm rather looking forward to it!

Ooh one more thing: In the first picture, on the wall you can see our digital picture frame. That was Michael's Christmas present to me, and I absolutely love it. It cycles through our photos, and I get to actually see all of the pictures that ordinarily stay on my computer. I am a big fan :)

No comments: