Mar 15, 2008

EuroLife: Day 157

Today turned out to be a very nice day. I was a bit down when I woke up, as Michael and I are currently missing an enormous family party on Long Island--one that I would really like to be at. I called home this morning and Reed (2 1/2) got on the phone and said "you not coming?" Even though we leave for the States in a few days, it's still a bummer to be missing this gathering. In the end, though, today was great!

We worked in the morning, and then went to have coffee and cake with some friends to celebrate their daughter's 6th birthday. (For me, this was heavy on the cake and light on the coffee :) We are starting to get somewhat connected in a group of friends from church and from the university fellowship, including a few couples with babies, and that is of course a very nice turn of events.

But here's the reason I am so very excited as I write this: Michael and I have decided to go on a one week vacation in May. Now, after returning from our marathon voyage to the US, I'm sure the last thing I'm going to want to do is get on another plane. Still, I think this will be worth it. I wanted to do something before the baby comes, and there are some amazing last-minute travel packages available here. It's really an incredible opportunity to be so close to so many countries, none of which I have yet seen. So we are off to Turkey!

More specifically, we are off to the Montana Pine Resort in Turkey. This is odd, I know, but the place looks incredible. It is a 4 star resort and one that we could not ordinarily afford, but for some reason it us totally affordable for one week in May. It must just be underbooked, because the weeks before and after are quite a bit more expensive.

We found a package that includes airfare from a nearby airport and 7 nights at the resort including breakfast and dinner. We had been looking into all-inclusive resorts, as they seem to be by far the most economical option, but so often the reviewers complained about the quality of the food. At this place, the reviewers rave about the food--and I like to enjoy my meals :)

It is in the mountains, and 10 minutes from the coast. The resort has several pools, but they also run free shuttles down the mountain to the beach, the "blue lagoon." There you can swim, snorkel, sunbathe, and--now this is very cool--watch paragliders land! They start in the mountains and land on the beach; I can't wait to see it.



In any case, I am very excited. Turkey is supposed to be incredible, and is actually a pretty popular beach location among Europeans. The grounds of the resort are said to have incredible gardens, including pomegranate trees, and there is a famous hiking trail that is accessible from the resort itself.

Apparently, most of the guests at this resort are British. So, come May, Michael and I will be hanging out at the Montana Pine Resort, in Turkey, with a bunch of British folks. I can't say I saw that coming.

No comments: