Jun 4, 2008

EuroLIfe: Day 240

Acupuncture...

is weird. I went on Monday morning, and they wanted me to come back on Tuesday morning so I did...and they want to see me again today! Apparently, they think I should get it done every day until the swelling goes down. At that point, I can start coming every 2 or 3 days.

I have always wondered whether or not acupuncture would hurt. I thought it probably would, Michael thought it probably wouldn't. Well now I know: Of course it hurts, they stick needles into you! It doesn't hurt terribly, and some of the needles barely hurt at all, but others...ugh. Here's the funny thing: They stick tiny needles in my wrists (the underside) and on the back of my hands between my thumb and index finger. Then they do the same on either side of my ankles and on my feet. Then they stick decidedly less tiny needles into my legs a few inches below my knees. At this point, they dim the lights and leave me to "relax" for 20 or 30 minutes. It's very funny. Yesterday, I was so tired that I did being to relax, until I realized that I was in danger of falling asleep. Can you imagine what would happen if I fell asleep and my hands fell out of their carefully maintained position? That woke me up pretty quickly.

I do hope that it works, though! The weather has cooled off quite a bit, so I'm feeling a lot better and the swelling is definitely better than it was. (I also got additional tests done for preeclempsia, since my blood pressure continued to rise early this week, and I'm officially in the clear. I'm sure that has helped me to feel a lot better too :)

On an entirely unrelated note, tomorrow I will be taking the train to Wiesbaden to see a friend I haven't seen in well over a decade! I am so excited. (And I will get to miss acupuncture on Thursday and Friday--bonus!) Katie and I grew up together. We went to the same day camp for years and years, attended the same church, and went to high school together. We lost touch in college, and her parents moved away so we didn't see each other over breaks or, really, ever again! I learned a few months ago that she is living in Germany, and we have been talking about a visit for a while now. She has two little boys and her husband (a military attorney) is currently stationed in Iraq. I plan on staying Thursday night and heading back to Jena on Friday evening.

As it turns out, we both turn 30 this month, so we will be doing a little mini celebration as well :)

One interesting bit of trivia about Wiesbaden, courtesy of Wikipedia: It is there that Elvis Presley met Priscilla. Good to know, don't you think? She was 14 and he was 24, and that's a little weird, but it's interesting trivia nontheless.

I thought I'd throw in a few more pictures from Turkey, since I don't have any other pictures to share and Turkey really was lovely.

Our walk from our room to the dining room.


You can't tell from the photo, but this rose is about 8 inches in diameter! The gardens were incredible.


This is where Michael and I would sit and play backgammon, usually in the evenings after dinner. The view looks out to the mountains, and we were often surrounded by fairly loud and very amusing upper crust British folks.

No comments: